Cal State East Bay Continuing Education
Register for classes
Home : Degree Programs : M.S. in Education

Online Master of Science in Education, Option in Online Teaching and Learning

Frequently Asked Questions

Included below are answers to questions we typically receive about the Online M.S. in Education with an Option in Online Teaching and Learning Degree Program. Please also see our general FAQ's for answers to questions about registration and other departmental policies.

Is the Online Teaching and Learning master's degree program accredited?
Yes. Not only is Cal State East Bay a fully accredited University, our Masters program has also been independently accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. In order to be recognized by other institutions, online degree programs should have similar regional accreditation.

Is the program cohort-based?
No.  You can fit your academic timeline to your work or family schedule by taking only one class per quarter or skipping a quarter. So while you may start out with the same classmates, you are not locked into an inflexible timeline.

How quickly can I earn my M.S. in Education with an Option in Online Teaching and Learning Degree?
Our courses are delivered entirely online and in 5 or 10 week modules, enabling you to complete your master's degree in only 15 months if you take two courses per quarter for five consecutive quarters.

Do I need to come to Cal State East Bay's campus to complete the program?
No. Courses in the Online Teaching and Learning master's program are offered completely online and campus attendance is never required or needed to complete the program.

I am an international student.  Can I apply to this program?
Yes. However, our program is not eligible for the F-1 student visa.  If you are admitted to our program, you will have to complete it from your home country.  If you are already in the US but under a different visa status, you should contact the Center for International Education first to determine if you are allowed to apply to this program

Will this program help me obtain a K-12 teaching credential in California?
No. Coursework in the Online Teaching and Learning master's degree program does not meet the requirements for a California K-12 teaching credential. For more information about Cal State East Bay's teacher certification program, visit the Department of Teacher Education.

What is the background of the students you accept to the MS-OTL Program?
Since the M.S. Ed., Option in Online Teaching & Learning is a professional development degree, we look for students who are subject matter experts with a good background in face-to-face teaching (K-12, adult school, community college, university) or training (business, non-profit, military, etc.) or who are HR/or faculty development professionals. Their subject matter expertise can be from any field or content area.

Our program does not provide actual teacher training. Our students are already credentialed K-12 or Adult Ed teachers or teach at the college or university level; or are corporate or non-profit trainers or faculty development specialists. They are already subject matter experts in a face-to-face teaching/learning setting, usually at an institution that plans to move their degrees, workshops, or courses into a fully online format.

Can the Online Teaching and Learning Certificate Program courses be applied to the Master's program?
Yes. The 4 required courses in the Online Teaching and Learning Certificate Program are fully transferable if you are accepted into the M.S. in Education with an option in Online Teaching and Learning Degree Program, provided that you earned at least a “B” in each Certificate course (EDUI 6701 – 6704).   The master's program requires 6 additional, 4.5 unit courses.

What is the tuition fee for each course?
Currently, the tuition fee is $1,327.50 per course for all students (in-state, out-of-state and international students).  Please note that the tuition fee is subject to change at any time without notice.

Can I use the Over 60 Fee Waiver to enroll in this program?
No. This program is not eligible for the Over 60 Fee Waiver because it is offered through the Division of Continuing & International Education, which is self-support and cannot use any funds from the state of California. The Over 60 Fee Waiver can only be used for degree programs that use state funds.

What can I expect from a class in this program?
Each online class has a start and end date, and also specific assignments with due dates in most weeks; none of our classes are self-paced. Each class begins on the day specified in the schedule; once you log in to Blackboard, you will find a syllabus and instructions on how to start working on the course. You must login the second day of class or you may be dropped.

All courses are asynchronous (participants in these courses need not be online and in the course at the same time) – you never need to log in at a particular time or on a particular day, though you will need to log in 3-4 times a week in order to complete your individual and group assignments and to participate in threaded discussions.

Which course do I take first? And what order should I take courses in?
Here is the required sequence for the first four courses (each is five weeks in length and each earns 4.5 quarter credits/units/hours):

  • Quarter One: EDUI 6701 (Session One) and 6702 (Session Two)
  • Quarter Two: EDUI 6703 (Session One) and 6704 (Session Two)

Once you have completed EDUI 6701 through 6704 with a GPA of 3.0 or better, you will receive the Certificate in Online Teaching and Learning.

Courses numbered higher than EDUI 6704 are ten weeks in length (each of these also earns 4.5 quarter credits/units/hours), and you will need six more courses.

MS in Education, Option in Online Teaching and Learning (MS-OTL) students must take EDUI 6706 (which meets the University Writing Skills Requirement) as soon as they have completed the prerequisite/Certificate courses (EDUI 6701 – 6704). You may complete the remaining required and elective courses in any order, except for the Capstone course, which you must take in your final quarter.

  • EDUI 6706
  • EDUI 6705
  • EDUI 6707
  • one theoretical elective (EDUI 677x)
  • one technical/methodological elective (EDUI 678x),
  • one Capstone course (Project: EDUI 6899) which must be taken during your final quarter in the program.

We generally offer two required courses and one elective course every quarter. However, you can only take a maximum of two EDUI 4.5 unit courses per quarter.

Do I need to enroll the quarter I've been accepted to the program?
You must enroll in a class during the quarter you are admitted to our program. Failure to do so will result in a “no show” status and your acceptance into our program will be cancelled. If you need to defer your enrollment, you will have to reapply and pay the $55 application fee again. However, you will not have to resubmit your transcripts if you are reapplying within 1 year of when you were first accepted to the program. You can find out more information on this new policy here.

Please make sure to keep track of application deadlines here.

Are there special accommodations for students with disabilities?
If you need special accommodations for a disability, please contact the Accessibility Services  as early as possible (preferably before the class begins).  If you have questions about how we accommodate students with disabilities in our online courses, please let us know.

Can I take a leave of absence?
You may be “away” from the program for only two consecutive quarters and must enroll in a class by the third quarter if you want to maintain your acceptance in the program. Otherwise, your admission will be cancelled. You will have to re-apply and pay the $55 application fee (and you may also have to resubmit transcripts) if you want to start taking courses again.

What grade must I earn for each class?
At the graduate level, a "B" average is needed for graduation.  In our program, students can earn at least a “B” in all required courses (EDUI 6701 – 6707 & EDUI 6899), but can earn a lower grade in their two electives (EDUI 677x & EDUI 678x).  However,  the overall GPA must be a "B". This information is also posted on the university’s latest catalog.

Why is it important that I use my Horizon e-mail account?
Your Horizon e-mail account is the only e-mail address to which all course communications will be sent to, as well as the email account you should use when communicating with individuals at the university. This is the official way the university will contact you once you become a student. You can have you Horizon account forwarded to a personal e-mail account.  However, when contacting CSUEB staff & faculty you must use your Horizon e-mail account.